Friday, February 25, 2005

"Words, words; they're all we have to go on"

I love words. Language play intrigues me. That probably explains a lot about me. This week as I was reading various internet sites I found a quote from Stanley Fish that I had to save. It left an impression. I have a quote collection that ranges from Six Pence None the Richer lyrics to Heidegger and so much in between. So, of course I added Stanley to my list. And here is what Mr. Fish said.

"Words are not just the cosmetic clothing of some underlying integrity; they are the operational vehicles of that integrity, the visible manifestation of the character to which others respond."

So, makes you think, yes? Some say actions speak louder than words and I don't disagree, however, words still speak rather loud themselves. If you listen to someone talk, you can find out quite a bit out about their character. People's words often reveal truths they have no idea they are sharing. Think about that next time you meet new people. What are their words telling you, or even more frightening, what are your words telling them?

Ah, the power of the word.

No comments: