Saturday, June 4, 2005

Summer altered.

SO here I was looking forward to a great summer filled with work of course, but also Latin studies and work on my huge pile of desired authors and texts to read, when I find information on a prerequisite for my fall Field Education class. No worries, how much time can a summer school class really take. After the J-term class was fairly easy. Then, the dreaded Syllabus arrived. There is a tremendous amount of work and all my summer fun has been pushed off to the 26th of June. Maybe I can squeeze a little Latin chapter in, but as for reading it will first be the two required texts as well as an additional choice text.

Nonetheless, as I read Micheal Slaughter's book I find myself stirred by his passion. As of chapter 6, I've read nothing new or unknown. However he reaffirms beliefs I have and inspires action upon those beliefs. Here's one gem "A lot of Jesus' followers try to get through life on a pass-fail basis, at a deep level we don't enjoy mediocrity." There is a desire in my deepest parts to soar with eagles, but as Carl Sandburg would say, sometimes wallowing with hippos is easier. I wonder what would really happen is I started living authentically, where I was an unshattered reflection, Not scattered shards of glass attempting to make my own way in life, but rather a whole person fulfilling my greater purpose.

Suffice to say one book part way down. Knowing I will get through the class and I that will glean something applicable from the subject, I'm dealing with the changes to my summer in step.
July is books, Latin, sunshine, and of course Starbucks.

2 comments:

Brent said...

Hi Turtle...

Just wanted to stop back and drop you a note about Heschel.. whom I like quoting so much over on my blog...

Here's the funny thing about him- he's a rabbi (or was a rabbi - passed away in 1972). I learned about him from my Old Testament professor at the Christian college that I went to (Marvin Wilson and Gordon College - if either of those mean anything to you).

Even though he wasn't a "Christian" writer - we read his works for our Theology classes (wow that seems like a long time ago now) just for his unique and insightful observation on life, God, the Bible, etc... I am a believer now that even someone who is the not of the same faith as I am (Christian) - they may still have truth to teach, and I find Heschel to big one of the greatest examples of this.

So anyway I hope you look him up - I was going to send you a link or two but if you just Google him you will find more than enough material

O finally - if you want to start with one of his best books - pick up a copy of "God in Search of Man"

- Brent

Bekah said...

thanks. I had found he was a rabbi and that intregued me all the more.
And thanks for a reccommended starter.